Thursday, September 8, 2011

Silk road-Day 3

We checked out of the hotel and went to this amazing castle fort turned hotel for breakfast. By this point we were definitely missing western breakfast food and this place did not disappoint. I took a picture of my first round of food at breakfast. They even had real coffee! I also took some pictures of the view from the outdoor roof seating of the restaurant.

After breakfast we had a 5 hour bus ride through the Gobi desert to Jiayuguan. The Gobi desert is actually not a sandy desert. Instead it’s quite rocky:



Actually, the road/highway we took through the desert actually hugs the edge of it. So there we drove past TONS of fields of corn and fields of something that really surprised me: SUNFLOWERS! Hundreds of thousands of sunflowers. Just when I thought that there couldn’t be any more fields of sunflowers there would be another stretch of them. Sometimes there would even be little groups of sunflowers growing in corn fields. I swear that besides corn, sunflowers must be the national crop of northern China. So far I haven’t seen a single field of bamboo. I think they must be in the south. So…I guess it really is true that everything has a place in this world. And you know what? Sunflowers ARE beautiful, ESPECIALLY if they’re in China. 






No comments:

Post a Comment