Friday, August 19, 2011

Food and the Future!

Okay, even though I'm completely illiterate and can't speak very well, I have to say that the food here is motivating me to learn. I've discovered my love of strawberry milk tea, baozi (steamed buns with meat or vegetables inside), these crunchy egg/meat pancake thing that I don't know the name of, jiaozi (dumplings), and kebabs :) So much good food and it's all so cheap! I can now successfully order all of the above and even joke around with the street vendors a little bit. For example, tonight I was helping my friend order 5 baozi and the vendor said it was yi bai kuai (100 RMB) instead of 5 (less than $1) just to mess with us and we were so proud of ourselves to be able to understand and respond "tai gui le!" (too expensive!). It can actually be much safer to eat something from a vendor that is cooked in front of you than eating things from a restaurant where you can't see what's going down in the kitchen. So far the food from the vendors has been excellent and hasn't made me sick. 

It's getting late and I need to wrap this post up. We are leaving on a 2 week trip across China tomorrow! I won't have my computer or internet access but I will be keeping a journal and taking pics so you shall hear about it when I get back! If you need to contact me you can call my new cell phone via skype. You can contact my parents for the number and directions. 

So until I'm back in Beijing...Zai Jian!

1 comment: