Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ni Hao from Beijing!

你好 From Beijing!
After a long 12 hour flight we finally landed in Beijing! However, I quickly learned that nothing in China ever happens as quickly as you want it to. The customs line only took about 25 minutes, but then I had to wait about an hour for my bags to finally come around on the carousel before I could meet up with my group. But really, I can’t complain. I only had to take one flight and it was on time. There were thunderstorms that created major delays for some people and I heard our program coordinators have to go pick up more students later tonight.
I guess it really didn’t hit me until I got off the plane in the Beijing airport how much I “wasn’t in Kansas anymore.” I just had this incredible feeling of being utterly alone in these crowds of people, with not a single person familiar to me. It was simultaneously terrifying and thrilling.
The next thing that hit me was the humidity. It’s so humid here that I feel like I’m swimming through the air. I knew it was going to be hot, but I guess I’d just forgotten what this kind of humidity is like.
It started pouring on the bus ride from the airport and I took some pictures of the city in the rain. I still can’t believe I’m going to be living and exploring a city of 20 Million people!
Everyone in my program has been super nice so far and I’m already making some friends. We went out to dinner as a group at a local restaurant and they brought us twice the amount of food we could have consumed. They just kept bringing more and more food! 
I’m super jet-lagged and am off to bed. I promise tomorrow I will give more details. So I’ll just leave you all with the final picture of the view from my room. Beijing is so pretty at night J






2 comments:

  1. Eee, I'm so excited for you! Sorry we didn't get to talk before you left (things were crazy here this week) but if you have time at some point, I'd love to skype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beijing really is beautiful! I hope you're having a wonderful time!

    ~Kyle Arrouzet

    ReplyDelete